Thursday, June 14, 2012

Food Talk

Little E had his 9 month well-baby visit earlier this week. Vital stats are as follows:

  • Height: 29.5"
  • Weight: 22 pounds
  • Noggin: 18" around

Nom nom, paper, nom
The pediatrician also happened to recommend the cookbook Nourishing Traditions, which, in an eerie coincidence, I had just checked out from the library last week. I'd look at the book once before and found it pretty overwhelming. Since the doctor was so taken with it, I'm going to do a "Nourishing Traditions Challenge" - cook one recipe or try one idea from the book each week. This week's challenge is already complete! The book is a big proponent of raw cheese, and the doc really thought E would do okay with me eating raw dairy. I tried raw dairy once before, and our conversation about it went like this:

her: What did you do with the cheese?
me: I put it in a casserole.
her: You did what?
me: I put it in a casserole.
her: You baked it?
me: Yep.
Silence...
me: I guess that disqualifies it as raw, doesn't it?
her: Yep.

So, I got some more raw cheese and didn't cook it this time. I ate all of it (not that I bought very much), and so far so good, no spits!

 
Posted by Picasa
E is also really progressing at pincer grasping food and putting it in his mouth. We had strawberries at lunch today, and he got all of his pieces in his mouth without smooshing them! I think having really ripe raspberries yesterday helped him learn not to squeeze the food so much. Yes, I know you're not "suppose to" feed under ones strawberries or raspberries, but I didn't know that until after he'd eaten both with no ill effects. His first food was strawberries afterall!

Also, a strawberry piece fell on E's bib, and he pulled the bib up to his mouth and slurped it off. So cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment